The monitoring technology is an organized process, selective and permanent, to capture information from abroad and the organization of science and technology to select, analyze, disseminate and communicate it to turn it into knowledge to make decisions with less risk and able to anticipate changes.
This corresponds to the formal definition, as is reflected in the text of the UNE 166006:2006 Ex Management of R + D + I (Technological Surveillance System).
What is Technology Watch?
It is a systematic and ongoing process of searching, collecting, collection, analysis and dissemination of public information strategy in the organizational environment as well as environmental monitoring and analysis of skills. The search engine of the platform can be automated and consists of a tracking tool and mining of digital information.
Technology Watch encompass all types of documentation that may assist in the analysis and reflection on strategies for management. Encompassing information from:
- Fairs and Events
- Competitor Information
- News about the sector of activity of the organization
- Views on the sector (expert users)
- Publications of interest (standards, patents, newsletters)
Why it is necessary to Technology Watch
In a changing global environment in which skills and continuous process of innovation are part of the happening of the organizations is necessary for their survival know first hand all the actions and alerts that occur in the business sector entities.
Monitoring processes (knowing one’s environment and competitor, bulletins, regulations, patents) have always existed within the organizational structures, but today’s global environment:
- Rapid changes
- Information overload by the large impact of ICT
- Continuous search for innovation strategies as key to future
Necessitates the adoption of specialized tools to capture and document structuring relevant information for organizations.
Objectives and usefulness of the Technology Watch
The information processing can better understand the environment and reflect on the direction of organizational strategies. Among the technological surveillance aid organizations can report are:
- Understanding changes in technology and changes in markets close to our environment.
- Risk reduction decision-making, to better understand where we position ourselves with our strategies.
- Knowing the way forward, because it can meet the changing needs of our customers.
- Organizational efforts to bring new land and key trends of progress in all aspects of organizational innovation to production processes, products, human capital …
- Knowing the competition, seeking alliances with new partners or expert advice.
This whole process of capturing well-analyzed information becomes known to the company and its use within the organization in a practice known as Competitive Intelligence, which consists of analyzing the factors influencing the competitiveness of the company with the aim of generating competitive strategies and act successfully in the processes of generation of innovation in the global environment of Business Intelligence.
The surveillance system technology is a tool for collaborative nature. Access is required of all members on the platform to enter information that may be of interest to organizational, as well as consultation documents. Taking into account the establishment of some filters to access information that will be defined by the principal in charge of organizing this collaborative action can lead to a knowledge management strategy by creating feelings of cohesion and belonging among members of the organization who will be actors in the management strategies of the company.